Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Provider Spotlight: Shirisha Vallarapu, PA-C


Shirisha Vallarapu is Florida Skin Center's senior physician assistant. She received her B.S. in Microbiology from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, and her Masters in Medical Science and B.S. in Physician Assistant Studies from Nova Southeastern University. If you are a patient of our Fort Myers office, you most likely have met her!

What inspired you to pursue a career as a physician assistant? 

I knew I always wanted a career in healthcare from a young age. I also wanted a career that would give me an opportunity to have a good work life balance and raise a family. My career as a PA has been very rewarding. I love having my own schedule and seeing patients daily while also getting to do a mix of procedures while  having plenty of family time.

What are some of the highlights of your career? 

Florida Skin Center was my very first job straight out of school. I have been working with Dr. Badia for over 13 years. I think the highlight of my career has been seeing the growth within myself and Florida Skin Center as we continue to grow and expand. I also love how I have built great relationships with our patients over the years. And see them out when I am out in the community.

What are three things a patient can do to maintain healthy skin? 

Sunscreen is vital to maintaining healthy skin especially here in SW FL and I recommend we wear it daily. Developing a good skin regimen at an early age for prevention, that includes retinol and antioxidants because although we all age, we can do it gracefully; and getting annual skin checks. We don’t know what we can’t see.

What are the most common procedures you perform? What are the ones you most commonly recommend?  

What I love about working at Florida Skin Center is that I get the opportunity to do medical and cosmetic procedures.  On the medical side, I perform biopsies to rule out skin cancers and other conditions, as well as surgeries to remove skin cancers.  I also love doing cosmetics for patients because it’s amazing to see how much better we feel about ourselves by doing simple non-invasive procedures like fillers, Botox and lasers.

What do you like to do for fun?

I have been married for 10 years and have two little boys, 2 and 7, who keep me on my toes. We love going to Disney and Lakes Park and doing all things boy.

What do you like most about working at FSC?

The culture. It is such a great work environment. The ladies I work with are all wonderful and are like a second family to me. We all genuinely care for each other and want the best for each other and our patients.

What is the last book you read?

I like a good suspense novel. The last book I read was : A Girl on a Train. Would love suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment