Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Growth factors are proteins that help to support the foundation of our skin by stimulating cellular growth. It is common knowledge that collagen, one of the main structural proteins that gives skin its full and youthful look, depletes as we age. Growth factors, when applied to the skin promote a cascade of cellular changes and growth leading to increased collagen production which in turn leads to softening of fine lines and wrinkles.
At Florida Skin Center our skin care line SkinMedica includes TNS Essential Serum. TNS stands for Tissue Nutrient Solution, and this formulation contains over 110 of the growth factors knows to influence collagen formation. This product improves the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, skin tone and texture. TNS Essential Serum also contains antioxidants that help to protect the skin from free radicals that can decrease the skins ability to naturally repair itself.
Wednesday, January 21, 2015
1. Repeated use of harsh antibacterial soaps or alcohol based hand sanitizers can lead to stripping of the skins natural oils and fats that serve as a protective barrier. Wash with a soap free cleanser to help reduce irritation and dryness from disrupting this barrier.
2. Avoid hot showers or baths and stick with warm water. The hot water can break down the lipids or fats in the skin that are important to help protect from over drying and irritation.
3. Moisturize the skin daily. The best time to moisturize is right out of the shower to help seal in hydration from water on the skin. Creams tend to be more hydrating than lotions as they are thicker. For the face, moisturize at once to twice daily with a non-comedogenic or non- pore clogging formulation.
4. Remember the sunscreen. When it feels cool outside, it may seem like the sun is not as “strong”, but this is not the case. Remember to apply a 30+SPF daily and to reapply every 2-3 hours if you plan to be out for a period of time.
Certain skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris, and many more can flare around this time of year. Contact Florida Skin Center today if you are experiencing new or worsening skin problems.
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
A solar lentigo is brown spot that is caused by sun exposure or UV light. They are different than freckles or ephelides in that freckles have a genetic component. Lentigos occur in areas of sun exposure and can occur in large numbers. The presence of a solar lentigo itself is harmless, but does indicate a great amount of sun exposure that can lead to skin cancers.
They are a benign skin condition and do not require treatment. If the solar lentigo is cosmetically of concern, they can be treated with topical medications or light cryotherapy freezing. The best treatment for solar lentigo is prevention. Avoiding sun at the peak times between 10AM-4PM, wearing at least a 30 SPF during sun exposure with reapplication every 2-3 hours, and/or wearing sun protective clothing will reduce the amount of solar lentigines a person may acquire.
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Here at Florida Skin Center we offer a variety of products to help improve the look and overall health of your skin, and the makeup we offer by ColorScience is no exception.
Here are some reasons why ColorScience Makeup is better than what you’re using now:
- Makeup contains ingredients such as peptides, antioxidants, and vitamins.
- Use pure mineral formulas so products don't clog pores.
- Use micronized, light reflective minerals.
- Formulate with high levels of zinc and titanium
- Micronized Zinc Oxide - Blocks UV rays and naturally soothes skin
- Titanium Dioxide - Offers UV sun protection and anti-bacterial properties
- Include sun protection - SPF 20, 30, 35 and 50
- Gentle formulation that won’t make existing skin problems worse.
- No harsh chemicals
- No dyes
- No talc
- No alcohol
- No mineral oil
- No fragrance
Schedule a Makeup consultation with one of our experts today!